Saturday, August 26, 2006
"Home Boxing Bloopers with Bob Saget and Yog-Sothoth"

Could they have gotten a worse picture?


Salon, that online outlet for liberals 1) summarizing books either for or against a creative God, or 2) interviewing authors who write books either for or against a creative God, just gave us a change of pace with its article "My Dream TV Show". A series of heads including St. Mark Cuban, James Frey (I just saw him on Deadspin! His agent is totally a scepter'd lion!), and Phil Rosenthal weigh in on that very subject.

But the true gift is John Darnielle's. For those of you who've caught the connect to Jakarta with some regularity, it won't surprise you to know all five of his ideas involve boxing. They're pretty awesome. I kind of hope Get Lonely is pretty awesome. But then, I keep hoping everyone's albums are pretty awesome.



Also, Ian prompted, and I deliver: 128 kbps (forgot to change the defaults) renderings of the couple songs I talked about last post:

ELO, "Turn to Stone"
The Mamas & The Papas, "Strange Young Girls"


Posted by Brad on Saturday, August 26, 2006 at 2:34 AM |

Get Lonely isn't very awesome.

It is, actually. As long as you can adjust to the fact that the whole thing is slow and sad - no "No Children"s, no "Quito"s, no "Dance Music"s. He's too busy being sad to be angry or joyous. I can see why people aren't liking it, but I love it at least as much as the others. But then, I would.

And thanks for the files! If you'd like to hear Get Lonely, you have my email...

Also... "Home Boxing Bloopers with Bob Saget and Yog-Sothoth."

Re: Get Lonely - Ian's right. It's very withdrawn and muted, but once you get into that feeling it starts working. I didn't much like it at first, but now it's one of my favorite albums of the year. Start the record from "Half Dead" - "it was raining outside so I cleaned house today" really sets the tone for the whole thing.

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

 
 
The FunkyFunky 7 Are:
A group of kids with WAY too much time on their hands.
RSS
Feed
Recent
Archives