Friday, August 25, 2006
still/stone
I'd like to talk about some white people for a second. If I could. On an impulse, roommate Chad bought a record player yesterday; last night, we had Baby's First LP Scouring Session. His thing, I believe, is vocal pop. The Beach Boys, cabaret Queen, and the Mamas and the Papas.

The Mamas & The Papas - The Mamas & The Papas


That's one of the records he bought. The big single is "I Saw Her Again," something I've been enjoying incrementally more upon each hearing for the last fifteen years. Just a great, intricate pop song. John Phillips has the girls imitate cellos, each pair of voices fights the other for dominance, and the shudder in the line "you know I wanna lay down and die": as Beatlesque as one can get while actually referencing the Kinks.

But the most interesting thing on the album is the following song, "Strange Young Girls". It's basically an olde school English folk song about blank girls on the Strip. Each member takes a mournful line, followed by the whole group in homophony. It's pretty contrary to Phillips' concept for the group (all that contrapuntal shit covering up for lazy songwriting), but it completely makes sense. It's California dreaming on ketamine.

Fuck if I know who plays the spidery lead guitar, as three guitarists are credited on the ass end of the sleeve, including "John Phillips, the acknowledged leader". Regardless, the setup is blessedly simple: a bass, an acoustic guitar, and that guitar (when it's not up front, it's tapping ominously along the surface). Really fucks up the flow of the album, which would be a problem if 1) The Mamas and the Papas were a stone classic, or 2) if it were some schizo gem, in which case "Strange Young Girls" would be doing a favor to the album's reputation. Neither is happening here.

Oh, and as I was telling Alfred, last week I had the overwhelming urge to hear ELO's "Turn to Stone". So I bought it on iTunes. And it was the best decision I've made since the test for chlamydia. I'ma jack off to the Vice letters section now.



Posted by Brad on Friday, August 25, 2006 at 3:05 PM |

Booo! White people!

Brad, we don't know each other well (you have yet to respond to my PM on the SSMB, even) - so you haven't had the chance to learn of my long-standing puzzling obsession with Michelle Phillips.

At any rate, well said!

Mal, those PMs notify to the e-mail account I don't check. And I'm so shitty about checking the SSMB. Very sorry about that; I'm heading there now.

Also, Michelle was like the closest thing they had to a rock star.

And I responded to your pm with a Headcoatees ref. and a "sounds like fun".

Awww....

you just mad 'cuz I'm hittin' yo sistah
you in the other room huh you couldn't sleep uh.


I tease.

We will rock Austin like it ain't even the fifth drunkest town in the US.

Brad, you incorrigable tease. I wanna hear "Strange Young Girls" (and "Turn to Stone" for that matter) now!

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

 
 
The FunkyFunky 7 Are:
A group of kids with WAY too much time on their hands.
RSS
Feed
Recent
Archives